Old July 18th 11, 07:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Reitter

Default Vario choice: LX1606 or Borgelt B500?

Richard,

On Jul 13, 9:19*am, Richard wrote:

LX1606
PROS: Extremely smoothe and effectivevario, *easily customized by
SeeYou Mobile *2 pages, (not sure about XC Soar Pages), *nice stepper
motor needle, and color display, *can us with any GPS, great SC andVariodisplay. Easy connection to and powers PDA.
CONS: need to connect a GPS, no logger

Could you clarify what the differences are between the LX166 and the
LX1606, apart from the extra control/display unit in the 166?
It seems that the 166 is more powerful, even though your website
presents the 1606 as more capable (and a bit more expensive).

I'm looking for an affordable data source for my PDA and a precise
vario. (I'm not particularly looking for an additional means of
navigation.)
I'm unsure whether to go for an affordable, second-hand Borgelt B50 or
a new LX166.

I'd like to combine Volkslogger[GPS, 4800baud] - Vario - iPaq 310
[9600baud]. According to the manual, baud rates are detected
automatically, so I'm concluding that this should work. Do the
LX166/1606 correctly pass flight declarations from the PDA to the
Logger?

Thanks
- David