Old July 9th 20, 01:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

Default Wood glider outdoor storage

On Wed, 08 Jul 2020 14:36:14 -0700, Scott Williams wrote:

On Wednesday, July 8, 2020 at 1:39:24 PM UTC-5, Sky Surfer wrote:
Random question (kinda): Can an all-wood homebuilt glider be tied down
outside year-round in a dry climate (e.g., Colorado) and be
weather-protected by padded covers? The glider's plywood skin is
covered by a layer of thin fiberglass, then painted. I guess I'm
asking for actual experience or knowledge from anyone who has
sucessfully done so. The glider's owner would be willing to
periodically remove/dry-out/put back the covers after rain/snow/hail,
etc. Being assembled and tied down is the only practical way this
particular glider would be flown.

I've owned a wooded glider, a dry trailer would be a vast improvement
over your proposal.
even an open sided tin roofed "T" hangar would be better.
Scott

Good suggestion. Eden Soaring, in Eden Valley on the foothills of the
western side of the Pennines, so not the driest part of the UK, keep a
pair of ASK-13's rigged under open-sided tin roofed T-hangars during the
soaring season. That setup looked pretty good last time I was there. Here
are the co-ordinates if you're interested: 41.590833, -93.620833

The most recent image, dated 19 July 2016, shows both T-hangars, anmd no
I don't know why its black&white when all the other images of the field
are in colour. Its a winch-only site with a guaranteed crosswind if the
hill is working.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org