Old January 28th 18, 10:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default LXnav software with OS X / Wine

I've had mixed results with Wine for supporting the LX.

I think it took some registery editing to get it to run. (I remember starting wine with the option to dump WIndows syscalls and then looked at what was happening and then looked in the old Windows registery to see what should have been there.)

Even after doing this, I had to find a laptop with a real serial port to talk to the device. The combination of wine plus a use serial was too much. Even after doing this, only some of he LX functions worked. I could download flights, but to upload a new airspace I still have to revert to the Windows dual boot. There are newer versions of wine now, so this may not still be an issue.

I've heard that legal W7 license keys cost less than $15. This, plus a downloaded W7 boot iso should install and do updates on a VM. That may be the least headaches.