Old July 22nd 03, 10:31 AM
Mainlander

In article ,
says...
David Bromage wrote in message ...
Does anybody know exactly which units are going to the Solomon Islands?
The Defence media releases haven't contained much detail, other than the
Australian infantry contingent will be from the 3rd Brigade. The
Solomons government did ask for the SAS, but I take it they're not doing.

I know HMAS Manoora sailed is leaving today and the airlift of police
will begin on Thursday.

What units are New Zealand, PNG, Fiji, Samoa and Tonga sending?

From the NZ Defence Minister site
http://www.beehive.govt.nz/ViewDocum...cumentID=17308
"...
Police Minister George Hawkins said 35 Police officers, including the
10 officers currently in the Solomons, would be deployed for two
years, although there may be some phased reduction in numbers over
that period.

Defence Minister Mark Burton said 105 Defence Force personnel would be
deployed in support. The contingent will consist of four helicopters
and associated personnel; headquarters support staff, logistics,
communications, an engineering element and a small medical group. An
infantry company will also be placed on standby to assist if required.
..."

How do they fly them there. They used an AN-124 to get most of the
choppers back from Timor.