Old September 4th 06, 12:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

Default Many transponders in close proximity

That doesn't provide altitude data, and the radar return would potentially
be filtered out as ground traffic due to the slow speeds involved.

Mike Schumann

"James D'Andrea" wrote in message
ps.com...
I do not know what radar band ATC uses, but couldn't one suspend a
metalic reflector like sailboats use to provide a radar return? Of
course, space would be consideration depending on the glider model (see
http://www.tri-lens.com/trilensweb12002002.htm)

... Incidentally, we (USAF) did tests with fibreglas gliders to see if
we could "see" them with ATC radars.. you typically could not unless
they increased their power above the rated power they were authorized
at the time... yet, if we put wadded up tin foil (Reynolds Aluminum
wrap) in the wings, they showed up like gang busters.

Jettester (UP)