Old July 23rd 09, 06:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default SAFE Winch Launching and automatic gearboxes

On Jul 22, 5:50*pm, Chris Nicholas wrote:
Has anybody in the good old US of A developed a printed, available,
specification for the pay-on gear for Dyneema etc. rope – like low
weight (aluminum? - note USA spelling!) rollers, low friction and low
inertia bearings, anything special needed for the drum , etc.?

I suspect that there is scope for saving inventing too many wheels
twice over.

(And for the avoidance of doubt, I am NOT going to get into the Bildan/
DC/DJ etc. spats – you are all welcome to keep those among
yourselves.)

Chris N.

The hydrowinch feed is a single sheave approximately 8inches in
diameter, perhaps an 1.25" wide with a tapering v-notch. Aluminum and
powder coated. I suspect a common bearing type. Close enough
tolerance in the fairlead to avoid problems.

The original drum has been reinforced at the center, but has a u-
shaped cross section. About 36" at inner core.

See my other post about the drum I recently had built. Worked fine
though the axle shaft align is slightly off leading to a slight
tendancy to load the rope to one side. A bit of cutting and welding
needed to correct this. Images in winchdesign Yahoo group.

Frank Whiteley