Old May 12th 18, 04:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default A Simple Question About LiFePO4 Batteries

On Friday, May 11, 2018 at 7:15:02 PM UTC-4, kinsell wrote:
This assumes that all lithium batteries have a full-featured BMS circuit
that protects against battery abuse. That seems to be a bad assumption,
particularly for LiFePO4 batteries. Pfiffner has posted some
interesting failures he's seen there, in the previous incarnation of
this discussion.

I really was just asking about the taller size battery (the PowerSonic # is PS-12100H if you want to look it up; it's about $10 more than the usual size) to see if there were a LiFePO4 equivalent.

That said, I've read Richard's posts as well as others from a few pilots who have reported relatively premature deterioration of LiFePO4 batteries. The verdict seemed very clear a few years ago. Now...? Having a $35 SLA start to slide after a few years wouldn't be as annoying as would a $100 to $150 LiFePO4 battery. Yes, the only advantage of SLA is cost...but if I have to replace both types at about the same time, that's definitive for me.

T8, I believe you were using Bioenno whereas most posts are about K2, with a few about Starkpower and one unanswered query about Dakota. I take it you're still happy with yours.

Chip Bearden