Old May 3rd 21, 09:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nicholas Kennedy

Default Hawk Wind

Like Matt Scutter said I don't think we've come real far in the wind reading dept since the CAI 302/303.
I Watch Brunos panel in his vids and IMHO opinion his varios are way too wild for me to try using.
I still fly behind the the 302/303 combo.
It gives no less than 4 wind indications and I find them all to be very accurate.
Comparing them to my Seeyou mobile in flight they often are very well matched up.
1. It gives Fast Component winds, updated every second in straight line flight.
This function has helped me find the core hundreds of times.
2. Average headwind Tailwind averaged over 30 seconds.
3.Vector wind, updated when the glider turns at least 30 degrees.
4.Relative wind direction. This is the direction of the wind relative to the gliders GPS Track over the ground.
I think the 302 was so far ahead of its time, it was digital. Never needed a software update they got it right the first time out
Totally adjustable in flight for needle and sound response and TE compensation.
Gary Kammer still has parts and services these units. I just got mine serviced and a recalibration sheet for this season.

Nick