Old August 29th 18, 07:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Will a Blanik L13 open trailer work for an L23?

FWIW, you can--indeed--put almost anything on an open trailer...and without welding. My father and his partners got one of the first Diamant HBV fiberglass gliders (Libelle 301 wings on that beautiful Diamant fuselage) from Switzerland back in the mid 60s. This was before trailers were an option. We didn't have a clue, so for the few times we needed one, we put the pieces on an open 1-26 trailer. Yeah, the wingtips extended back behind the trailer, the tail was WAY in the air (IIRC, we removed the tailskid and used the standard tripod to boost it up), and the fork/tongue spars extended forward of the trailer (they were just clamped in place), making it impossible to turn very tightly without damaging the spar tips and/or the tow vehicle. The fuselage was retained with the gear down and wheel in the standard wheel box, and with cables and turnbuckles tightened on each side to steady it.

Worked great! But it was an unbelievable chore for 3-4 of us to put it on/off the trailer that summer until we got a real enclosed trailer built and fitted. Thankfully no one ran into the back of it on the road.

Some memories are good. This one still makes me cringe.

Chip Bearden