Old August 19th 03, 12:44 PM
Gary L. Drescher

"Chip Jones" wrote in message
This kind of turn can be be counter intuitive to the pilots involved.

Yup. It was to me until I gave it more thought.

In
the case of the aircraft heading 090 and the aircraft heading 360, let's
suppose that I issue traffic traffic and then initiate an separation
resolution. To the north bound aircraft, I call traffic at ten o'clock

and
ten miles, eastbound co-altitude. I then initiate a vector to put the

north
bound airplane behind the east bound airplane. "Turn left heading 310,
vectors behind traffic."

The "vectors behind traffic" phrase sounds very useful. It concisely
explains to the pilot, in real time, why the counterintuitive instruction
actually makes sense.

Thanks for posting this. If I'm ever in such a situation, having thought
about it beforehand might help me avoid wasting a second or two trying to
figure it out.

--Gary