Old May 19th 07, 02:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
John Galban

Default Would you by this engine?

On May 18, 5:22 pm, Greg Copeland wrote:

I spoke with a local mechanic today and his opinion is that it should
give pause but the engine may be fine and was seemingly encouraged by
the compression numbers. He recommends an oil analysis. His opinion
is the biggest potential unseen danger stems from the cam and an oil
analysis would address this concern one way or the other.

Comments? Would you consider such a deal? The mechanic's advice seem
sound?

Oil analysis is a trend tool. Even the folks that sell the service
will tell you that. A single oil analysis won't tell you much unless
the engine is shedding a prodigious amount of metal (which you should
be able to see by cutting open the oil filter). On Lycs that don't
get much use, I'd pull a cylinder or two and inspect the cam directly.

I know too many people that have bought underused engines that
looked good at inspection, only to have the results of internal
corrosion start showing up after they started flying it regularly.
Personally, with the airplane market heavily favoring the buyer these
days, I'd look elsewhere. This engine might be quite servicable, but
the seller is asking you to stake your money that it is. There's no
down side for him.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)