Old October 21st 08, 08:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bill Daniels

Default Electric Inline Fuel Pump Recommendations

wrote in message
On Oct 21, 9:54 am, "Bill Daniels" bildan@comcast-dot-net wrote:
Automotive aftermarket and performance fuel pumps come in two categories
for
carburators and fuel injection. I use an aftermarket MSD 12V in-line pump
for my Jeep's fuel injection system that puts out up to 100 PSI and can
supply up to a 500HP engine. It's a lot more reliable than the original
in-tank pump and I can replace it with a screwdriver in about 10 minutes.
You'll need a fuel pressure regulator in addition to the pump.

I had to buy an expensive in-tank pump for my Chevy recently. I
wondered at the time if there was a cheaper inline pump that would
have done the job instead. How much are those aftermarket pumps, just
so I know for next time?

$120 - $200 depending on where you buy it. I didn't pop for a pressure
regulator relying instead on the stock regulator on the engine. So far,
that's working fine.

There is a downside and that's noise. The in-tank pumps are pretty much
silent. The in-line pumps make an Ehhhhhhh sound but that's easily drowned
out by turning up the radio volume. Given the debacle of an in-tank pump
failure, I don't mind hearing it.

You will have to remove the failed in-tank pump since it acts as a check
valve and replace it with a pickup tube. I'm considering an aftermarket
nylon fuel tank that has all the right connection hardware built in - plus
holding an additional 7 gallons.