Old June 14th 09, 01:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Default PDA's in flight

Hi,

The IR port may very well be the problem. The PDA may think that the sun is
another PDA trying to talk to it through the IR port. I show how to disable
the IR port in training video #6 of my Pocket PC training. You can see it
he
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/train...TrainingCD-PPC

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

"John Scott" wrote in message
.. .
I had a PDA mounted on the dash of my car that exhibited extreme slowness.
I finally discovered it was due to the IR port trying to communicate with
the sun. I tried to turn it off in the software, but ultimately covered
over the port on the top of the PDA with a small piece of black electrical
tape. Problem solved. I initially discovered this was the problem when I
threw my hat over the unit in disgust and discovered that the perforance
immediatly recovered.

You can usually see the port flashig if you point it at a webcam and look
at the resulting video on your computer screen. The webcam sensors are
usually sensitive to IR.

John