Old June 25th 08, 11:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Journeyman

Default Sad News: Michael Masterov

Long-time poster Michael (thisoldairplane.com) died yesterday, June 24
in Berrien County, Michigan when his motorcycle was hit by someone who
apparently ran a stop sign. The other driver was killed too. Local
media is thin on the details.

Micheal's funeral will be in New Jersey on Sunday at Wien & Wien
Funeral Directors, 402 Park St Hackensack, NJ 07601.

He was one of a handful of usenetters whom I've had the privilege of
meeting in real life and I've enjoyed knowing him.

I learned a lot about flying from discussions with him both online here
and the several times we met in real life. He was an iconoclast and a
bit of a curmudgeon, but he always offered good food for thought. I
valued his opinions even when I didn't agree with them.

He engaged in a number of activities that could not be described as
"risk-free", but more than anyone else I've known he made every effort
to understand and evaluate those risks.

I hadn't been in touch with him lately, but I picked up his domain a
few weeks ago when I realized he had let it lapse. If anyone has good
ideas for a tribute page, let me know.

Morris