Old June 28th 04, 08:27 PM
m pautz

ShawnD2112 wrote:
Was hoping to get a bit of expertise here. I'm in the market for an
emergency bailout chute for flying in my Pitts S-1D. The top US contenders
seem to be National and Softie but with no experience in the field, and
parachutes not exactly being the kind of object you can try on for size in
the shop, I don't really know what to look for and what to avoid. I'd
appreciate any tips anyone out there could provide. Are there any European
models that anyone has any experience with? Obviously comfort and space in
the cockpit are major considerations.

Thanks!
Shawn

If you buy used, ask the seller for the manufacturing date. Many
riggers will not repack a canopy that is older than 20 years old. Also
check for ADs.

Butler has a very good discusion on parachute selection at:
http://www.butlerparachutes.com/howto.htm

And:
http://www.butlerparachutes.com/PDF/HowToSelect.pdf

You really need to talk to other pitts pilots. If the backpack is too
tall, it could ride up and create problems with the shoulder restraint
straps; that wouldn't be desirable when flying upside down. Here is a
quote from the Butler web page:

"In many aircraft with relatively upright seating (close to 90o, such as
the Citabria, 1-26, etc.), a backpack parachute is usually the best
choice. However, the pack must be long enough to rest on the seat bottom
and support its own weight without dragging on the shoulders of the
wearer. Conversely, it must not be so long that it rides up around the
wearer’s ears and forces the shoulder restraint straps up unnecessarily.

If the pilot desires a back type parachute in an aircraft such as the
Pitts (and similar types like Great Lakes, Skybolt, etc.) with tight
cockpits, relatively upright seating and close clearance between the
pilot’s face and the instrument panel, we generally recommend a back
parachute that is thickest at the bottom and thinnest at the top in
order to keep your face out of the instruments. Of course, the problem
with the thickness at the bottom is that you may begin to run out of leg
room."

For added info, do a search on "tso-c23b" or "tso-c23c"

Marty Pautz
"promote a society that respects its elders; before it is too late."