Old September 28th 05, 06:12 AM

In sci.electronics.design Brian Whatcott wrote:
On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 07:13:17 GMT, wrote:
I used to work at a flight simulator company and it was a lot easier
to make the Collins radios work right than the King ones.

Hmmm.... radios are one of the items where simulators invariably use a
front panel mock-up with switches and pots signaling the host.

Not always. Many of the radios I worked with (business jet and up) were
the kind where there was just a control head in the panel and the actual
guts (tuner, etc) were someplace else. We used the real control heads
and just dispensed with the remote guts. For the Collins radios, you
could read the spec, set up the control and data lines to the control
head, and get it right fairly quickly. For the King radios, reading the
spec was only the first step of a long journey into undocumented
goofiness. This pattern repeated itself with other hardware where we
used the actual aircraft item complete, such as a FMS.

Matt Roberds