Old November 11th 13, 08:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default automated flap setting

On Monday, November 11, 2013 10:23:46 AM UTC-5, WB wrote:
A prototype automated flap system was mentioned in the recent Duckhawk discussion. My question: Given that our manual flap settings cannot be optimal, how much real-world improvement in climb and cruise could be gained with an automated flap system that always has the flaps at their optimal position ( a hypothetical "perfect" flap setter)? --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---

Most current flapped gliders are fairly tolerant of errors in flap setting.
The challange with automating flap settings, other than the relatively simple glide portion of the flight, is that the flap change quite likely needs to lead the change in lift coefficient. It also would need to have some serious filtering to take out gust effects. Add to this a need to not overdo changes to avoid running the power source down.
Sounds like a very complex project with a marginal benefit, especially when applied to gliders with tolerant airfoils.
Then again, thinking back to my PIK-20, it would have been useful. I wore myself out keeping the flaps in the optimum position for the required lift coefficient.
Thank goodness for modern airfoils.
Musing
UH