Old May 6th 04, 04:42 AM
Kilo Charlie

I am also an physician (anesthesiologist and pediatric intensivist) and have
read what little literature there is out there. I agree with the your
assessment that few, if any reasonably performed studies have been done. I
also agree with the idea that some of the manufacturers of oxygen equipment
present overly optimistic claims for the performance of their products.

I also agree however, with the 2 posts above re 1.) the question of whether
there is a problem i.e. do you have data (since you seemed convinced that is
the only way to accurately determine things) that there have been mishaps
directly related to lack of oxygen in the sailplane community and if so
let's hear about it, and 2.) that it very clearly does not matter if any
studies have been or will be done if you are using a pulse oximeter and can
see that your sats are in the 90's in flight.

The final line for me when asked my professional opinion re these systems is
to tell pilots that if they REALLY wish to be safe while flying at high
altitudes they should purchase a pulse oximeter and know how to use it.
Notwithstanding the various hemoglobinopathies and pathological shifts in
the oxyhemoglobin dissociation curve (which are extremely rare for you non
medical types) the pulse oximeter provides all the info you will need.
Certainly if you are a wave addict then participating in a high altitude
chamber course would be of help.

Finally I absolutely disagree with the notion that more regulation would be
preferred in this area.

I'll end with a question....why do so many folks that wish to present strong
and possibly controversial opinions wish to use pseudonyms?

Casey Lenox
KC
Phoenix