Old January 10th 04, 07:50 PM
mg

"fudog50" wrote in message
You have got to be kidding me! It's a watered down version of the
Navy's fitness assessment!!! ( and it took them a year to copy it)
Same aerobic (run 1.5 miles) and the same muscle excersises (push-ups
and sit-ups). After looking at the AF charts for scores, I could be a
fatass (36 inch abdomen) and I could walk the 1.5 miles in 16 minutes
and I would have a high enough point total to be exempt from having to
do any pushups or situps!!! And I wouldn't be testable again for 12
months!!! LOL The Navy's standards are MUCH higher, I only have a 33
abdomen, run the 1.5 in 11:30 and routinely do 50 pushups and 80
situps in the 2 min time allotted and I can never score higher than a
"good". This AF article has got to be a joke?? Well, I suppose its an
improvement over the old way.

I am not sure which chart you are looking at or what age group, but you
would be required to to be tested every 3 months by what you stated. And
the time limit is 1 minute not 2 for the pushups and situps. I am sure you
got a generic chart without the color coded breakdown of what the
requirements are for each level.

In any event I still have question about the whole thing. Why are there
different requirements depending on age and sex? If the reason for doing it
is so the AF can keep up with the rigors of combat, there should be no
difference. There should be one standard. Or would some fatass women say
"hold on bad guy, I am not suppose to run that fast, my PFT says so."

And besides that, why does the size of someones abdomen have anything to do
with physical fitness. I know some rather large folks who could easily
outrun me. Rather, it has everything to do with looking good in a uniform
and presenting a "good image". The real reason they changed was because too
many fat people were passing the bike test with ease and they couldn't do
anything about it. You will note that if you max out the pushup/situp
requirement, it adds very little to the point total. Get a couple inches
too fat and it easily wipes out a good chunk of the pushup/situp gains.

MG