Old December 5th 03, 12:02 AM
Eric Greenwell

Mark James Boyd wrote:
In article ,
Eric Greenwell wrote:

Mark James Boyd wrote:

Jim Kelly wrote:

I also wrap my portable ELT in reflective tape. Saves
having a separate mirror...

Have you tried to use it? A real signalling mirror is flat, reflective
on both sides, and has a small hole in the center so you can aim it. One
you can't aim might be worthless.
--

This tape actually has a checker pattern and
reflects in all directions.

I think this makes it worthless unless the other person is very close. A
flat signal mirror has a narrow and therefor much brighter beam.

I'd bet the signal mirror
would work better, but might depend on my skill
using it ;-[

They are very easy to aim, because they are reflective on _both_ sides
and have a hole in the center. You are actually aiming it (using the
hole and the reflective back side), not just waving it in the general
direction of the aircraft or whatever you are trying to signal.

--
-----
Replace "SPAM" with "charter" to email me directly

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA