Old July 23rd 03, 02:37 AM
Rick Durden

Kirk,

Sounds like you have an extra nose heavy 182, but that happens from
time to time. With fuel burn on that airplane the c.g. does not move
much during flight, so it's time for uou to toss some weight aft
(which will also make the airplane faster in cruise.) If you have a
heavy flight case, as many pilots do, strapping it into one of the
rear seats may take care of it for you.

When I flew freight in the Cessna 404 the airplane was out of c.g.
forward with just a pilot aboard, so I carried two collapsible, five
gallon water jugs. When the airplane was empty I filled up the jugs
(there's always a spigot somewhere on the airport) and put them under
the baggage net in the back end of the airplane. Once I got the
freight, if it took me to gross, I dumped the water. Otherwise I just
moved the jugs forward if needed to keep the c.g. from going out the
aft end if I knew I had another empty leg coming up.

I've still got the jugs and use them for camping trips, but haven't
flown an airplane in quite a while in which I needed them for c.g.
adjustment.

All the best,
Rick

"Kirk" wrote in message ...
Anyone ever throw a weight in the back to get within allowable weight and
balance? I am flying a C182 with 430 pounds (pilot & passenger) in the
front row. The point is I would like both of us to sit up front for the
flight. I have other aircraft that I can fly, and this is not a required
flight (no safety flaming please).

Calculated arm is 37.99, and minimum arm at that weight is 38.15. I am
144.85 pounds UNDER gross weight at this point.

If I throw a 20 pound weight in the main baggage compartment the arm is 38.4
(meets the minimum requirements) and we can both sit up front.