Old May 7th 04, 04:11 PM
Nathan Young

On Fri, 7 May 2004 11:02:22 -0400, "Paul Safran"
wrote:

I seem to have read or been told once that,
one can file an IFR flightplan with remark for
VFR flight conditions when not instrument rated,
or current, to get routing and practice within the system.
Comments?

I'm not an expert, but believe an IR is required to file an IFR
flightplan. This makes sense as the controllers can't be expected to
know whether or not they will be vectoring you into IMC conditions,
and whether or not you can handle it.

What you can do is ask controllers for VFR practice approaches, this
will help with IFR radio comm in the terminal environment.

For IFR radio comm enroute, this is harder to duplicate, but VFR
flight following is reasonably close to IFR comms. What you won't get
is clearances and reroutes.

-Nathan