Old July 6th 06, 03:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval

Default Explain the Navy-Marine Corps Tactical Air Integration Plan to me.

Diamond Jim wrote:

No why should they have ramps. They Navy doesn't have ramps on the Amphibs
when the Marines deploy the Harriers on them. The F-35B's deployed on the
carrier would most likely be used as air to ground attack aircraft with the
Navy F-35C's doing the air to air/ fleet protection mission. Besides they
may still put some kind of catapult launch system on the F-35B (bridle ?).

I cannot agree with the opinion that F-35C is going to be the
air-to-air aircraft, and F-35B air-to-ground aircraft. Right, Marine
squadrons are better specialized in CAS for their troops on the ground,
but this is also the the mission usually performed by Navy aircraft
nowadays (though sometimes called in a bit different way).

After the Cold War ended, and considering the fact most attack aircraft
of nowadays are strikefighters, the need for air-to-air seems to be
decreasing. Also such a division like you told about would deny current
TACAIR integration concept of mission-commonality.

Kind regards,
Jacek