Old August 25th 06, 03:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dylan Smith

Default Gas prices falling...

On 2006-08-25, wrote:
Jay Honeck wrote:
In the last couple of weeks, gas around here (Iowa) has dropped 10%,
back down into the $2.70 per gallon range. (This is mogas, obviously
-- the only stuff I'll burn in my plane, if I have a choice.)

Jay, mogas in this part of the world (the Middle East) means the stuff
I put into my C240. The fuel for aircraft is called A-1 hereabouts (I
know because I constructed an A-1 pipeline ).

Mogas is fuel (petrol) you put in a car with a spark ignition engine -
i.e. a standard car. Jay's plane also runs on mogas.

Avgas or 100LL is also probably what you call "petrol". It's similar to i
mogas but has a lot of lead in it. It's what most of the GA piston fleet burns.

Diesel is fuel you put in a compression ignition engine such as a truck
or diesel car.

A-1 in your case is short for Jet A-1 (kerosene). You put it into
turbine powered planes and a very small number of diesel engined planes.
Jet A-1 is quite similar to diesel. It will kill the engine of a normal
avgas or mogas powered GA plane.

In the United States, Jet-A and 100LL are similarly priced, and mogas is
a little cheaper. Diesel is cheaper than Jet-A or 100LL in the main, but
slightly more than mogas.

In the UK, 100LL is the most expensive (by a long way), mogas is a
little cheaper. Diesel is about the price of mogas. Jet-A1 is about
1/3rd of the price of avgas or mogas (and hence aviation diesel engines
are sought after - they are very much cheaper to run than spark
iginition engines).

What's the fuel for cars called in the US? This is all rather
addling...

By the normal populace, 'gas', which is short for 'gasoline'. By the
aviation community, car fuel is called 'mogas'.

Oolite-Linux: an Elite tribute:
http://oolite-linux.berlios.de