Old August 3rd 03, 01:48 AM
Les Matheson

Don't laugh. For years I had to watch my weight as the max for my height 6'
2" was 218, ideal was 176 and I hovered around 205 all the time. Then I got
sick and lost a lot of weight. With exercise to recover, I got down to 178
when I weighed in at Brooks when I went to get back on flying status. The
first thing the flight surgeon told me was "you need to gain about 20
pounds." The doctors didn't even believe the weights in the regs.

Les

"Billy Harvey" wrote in message
In article ,
S. Sampson wrote:
"Pete" wrote
As far as a 'failed leader...sometimes, there is nothing you can do.

We had the "Commanders 10% Club." If you got to within 10% of
your max weight, you reported to the Gym 3 days a week (even
deployed to Iceland, Bolivia, or Saudi). and then you did aerobics for
an hour, or we jogged at least 1.5 miles after calisthenics. I think it
was a great idea, and very popular...

So the max wasn't really the max, eh, but 10% below the max was actually
the max... I can see the approach now ...

HHQ: your maximum weight is 200 lbs - some insurance guys made these

numbers
up but we're gonna use 'em - what's it matter that these numbers
are based on the dietary intakes of people over the last 100 years -
and yes, we know that muscle weighs more than fat - but we're gonna
use 'em anyway cuz we *like* rules.
MAJCOM: your maximum weight is 180 lbs - we take off 10%!
NAF: your maximum weight is 175 lbs - we want a buffer before the

commanders
get fired.
WING: your maximum weight is 170 lbs - and you have to join the O'Club to
get promoted.
SQUADRON: Listen up! Any porkies weighing over 165 will not be allowed to
eat lunch - or breakfast - now stay healthy and be happy! Oh
yeah - pay your Club bills.
FLIGHT: You! Yeah, you, lard boy - you obviously eat too much - what do

you
weigh? 160!! Good God man, lay off the marshmallows. Now get

out
of here and go fly those jets - be sure to make me look good now!
Oh yeah, you're gonna pull double duty until you're a respectable
150 like Worm Boy here. BTW, everyone *will* be at the Club

tonight
and *will* listen to the Safety puke's talk about "realistic
zero-accident training" and the Social Action weanie's discussion
of "tolerance in the kinder and gentler AF". Now go get 'em
killers!
JETJOCKEY: ... must eat more aspartame ... which diet pills
are non-detectable? Work. Sleep. No food. Work ...
FLIGHTDOC: No, I don't know why you have trouble staying awake and doing
your job well. Maybe you should eat more and study your
profession and ignore that other stuff.
PROMOTIONBOARD: ... a prime example of poor team attitude - make him a
mister ... good Lord, look at the mustache on that man ...
and he's not skinny! WGAS what his bomb scores are - bombs
on target are old-school - we gotta look good in the shower
and have a "balanced force" first and foremost!