Old March 28th 07, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Nathan Young

Default Another who pays question

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 11:14:42 -0500, "Viperdoc"
wrote:

Had a major radio install on my Baron- a Garmin 530W and 430W. As part of
the install the avionics shop moved the radar display.

On the trip home (the same trip where in IMC the alternator quit) I turned
the radar on, since there were some storms over my home airport as indicated
by the nexrad.

Of course, the radar unit was completely dead. When I called the shop, they
said that they moved the unit, but that no one had checked its operation.

Now, I have to fly an hour each way to the avionics shop to fix the problem.

Who should pay for the gas? I realistically don't expect them to pay for two
hours of Baron flying time (which would probably negate any profit they made
on the installation).

Did your sales contract cover these kind of details? I would think an
avionics shop must run into these issues frequently, and hence their
contracts would be written in a manner to address repair of adjacent
avionics systems and transportation costs. Of course, that's probably
asking too much - it seems to me that many companies in the aviation
field simply 'wing' their operations vs being professional.

Having said that, if the radar was working when you dropped it off, I
would they pay at least the gas price for the trip. For your sake
(and the avionics shop), I hope it is a simple fix, and they did not
fry the radar.

Dealing with these types of issues are certainly a major downside to
going 'remote' for aircraft/avionics work. I find it an incredible
pain to have major work done at airports that are 15nm away, let alone
100s. This is not a knock on those shops, just the logistics of
getting to/from without the plane, or having a friend follow you
there.