Old July 6th 03, 02:42 PM
RLB

I don't know about that. If I remember correctly from the National
Geographic presentation, half the reason they retired their 707 was because
it couldn't carry all the people they wanted to carry comfortably. Not to
mention, I doubt you could turn a 20 passenger jet into the mobile White
House like the current jet. They also have two of them that don't fly much
and will probably be around for many many years to come. I'm willing to bet
the next Airforce One will be an aircraft that's not even on the drawling
board yet.

"Montblack" wrote in message
.. .
Wrong (IMHO).

The next AF1 will be small and VERY fast. 20 people, tops!

New sonic boom resistant designs, etc.

Mach 2+ a minimum to enter the bidding.

--
Montblack

"Buff5200"
snip
If and when a new AF1 is built, it will probably have the same heavy
lift capacity of the 747 line.

Next AF1's will probably be built on C-5A airframes.