Old October 21st 04, 12:23 AM
Peter Duniho

"Jim Burns" wrote in message
A better question would be "I wonder how many independent CFI's will say
"screw it" and give up instructing.

Interesting you mention that. I'm in a somewhat unique situation, having
started work on my flight instructor certificate just before my son was
born, and now (having put that work on hold for awhile, as I enjoy being a
dad and have lots of other distractions as well) I'm wondering if I should
even bother finishing up getting my flight instructor certificate.

I thought about mentioning that in response to this thread, but decided not
to, figuring my situation was so uncommon as to be irrelevant. But you're
right...there are plenty of people *already* flight instructors who may also
just give it up.

I have a hard enough time fighting various regulations that try to simply
prevent me from flying altogether. It is becoming increasingly difficult
for me to justify jumping through all the ridiculous hoops required to go
beyond my private-pilot oriented activities. Frankly, I've got plenty of
other interests to keep me busy, and some of those will help pay for my
regular flying a lot better than instructing would. I'm sure I'd enjoy the
instructing part of instructing, but when the job winds up being too much
non-instructing stuff, it's just not worth it.

So, you ask "Just how much nonsense are we going to put up with?" Well,
personally, I've had just about my fill. I think I'm about done...I love
flying, but in this environment it's difficult to justify the headaches.

Pete