Old January 7th 07, 10:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Default LPV vs LNAV/VNAV?

Stan Prevost wrote:

"Sam Spade" wrote in message

An "advisory" guide slope could only be applied to a final approach
segment without stepdown fixes, or one in which the glide slope clears
the obstacle(s) by the required margin. I doubt that all LNAV-only
approaches have been TERPSed for that, especially those without VDPs.

They aren't TERPsed, rather Jeppesen applies an angle that assures
clearance of the stepdown fixes.

Example:

http://tinyurl.com/y68phr

A very nice example it is, when comparing to the NACO chart
http://tinyurl.com/yfygkv .

NACO computes the descent from the FAWP to the stepdown fix. Jeppesen
computes it from the stepdown fix to the TCH at the runway.

I wonder how the GPS units present the glide slope: 3.67 deg from the FAWP
or 3.61 deg from 0.1 nm after the FAWP. There is only about 30 feet
difference at the stepdown fix between starting the two descent angles at
the FAWP.

NACO is not presenting a VNAV path, rather the descent angle from the
FAF to TDZ elevation.