Old March 15th 07, 02:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Arvin THd.

Default a VERY close call....who'd be deck crew?

Clark wrote in
:

"Steve R" wrote in
:

"JohnO" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 23, 4:25 am, "Andrew Crane" wrote:
"JohnO" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Feb 21, 5:13 am, "Andrew Crane" wrote:
"Nick" wrote in message

Thought you guys might be interested

http://www.videosift.com/video/Helic...s-A-Close-Call

But why wouldn't he have kept some negative collective to
keep it
nailed
the deck?.... how far would the tips 'dished' down?.....not
enough to
cause
the crew more worries than they already had??

I think you dreamed "negative collective".

It seemed very light on the skids on the previous couple of
swells??

The chap took off. It didn't do this by itself.

Regards
Andrew

If the collective was not full down the chopper would be light on
the skids, The ship dropping in the swell would be enough for it
to lift off the deck.

Which begs the question why was he light on the skids in the first
place. And why he didn't respond to the lurching during the
previous two swells. I
think he was having a play.

Regards
Andrew- Hide quoted text -

That or incredibly careless given the situation. Either way, pretty
inexcusable.

Very nice job of instantly dumping collective to get back down after
the tail strike. Any attempt to fly it down and he'd have been
history.

Is the netting standard equipment in such cases? Seem like it did a
good job of giving the skids something to grab on to when he set it
down. I can imagine the aircraft sliding off the pad without it.

Also, those have "got" to be two of the luckiest deck hands in the
world!

From an observers (non-pilot) point of view, netting seems to be
standard for North Sea operations. I think it's required by the rules
for offshore oilfield operations but it's been too long since I had to
deal with that sort of stuff to be sure that my memory of the
requirement is correct.

Whether netting is required on NS decks depends on the friction of the
un-netted deck. If the friction of the deck without netting is sufficient
then none is required.

Having said that, it is generally preferable to have netting since it
aids grip and it can aid visual cuing during the last few feet of an
approach.

Arvin.