Old December 31st 07, 04:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning, rec.aviation.piloting, rec.aviation.student

Default flaps again

On Dec 31, 8:59 am, Dave wrote:
Hmmmm..............

In our Cessna 172, flap extension also involved very signigicant trim
changes/speed and power changes. The lack of flap extension one time
(bad switch) was unmistaken and immediately apparent..

What Model Cessna?

I as well wonder how this would not be noticed, but my experience is
limited to one model Cessna.

I've flown the 150, 172, 180, 182, 185 and 206 and all
except the 180 and 185 do the same thing. The stab is in the downwash
off the flaps and the nose will rise when flaps are applied. The
180/185 have the stab mounted lower and out of the downwash and will
need nose-up trim with flap, if I remember right; haven't flown one
for seven or eight years. I flew the 177 a long time ago but can't
rememer what it did.
There are some other high-wing airplanes that don't do this.
They'll put the nose down with flap, which is what would be expected
as the CP moves aft with flaps going down.
My old Auster had two trim tabs: One manually controlled,
the other connected to the flap system so that it kept the attitude
constant wherever the flaps were set. Worked well. Haven't seen it on
any other airplane. They were Zap flaps, too; the airplane would fly
very slowly with them down and could be glided very steeply without
gaining airspeed. To meet military specs, no doubt. Pictures:
http://www.beloblog.com/KGW_Blogs/weather/P6260159.JPG
http://www.forceaerienne.forces.gc.c...lpaper/aop.jpg

Our (now) Warrior has a big black lever, NO DOUBT when the flaps are
down!

Flaps for *real* pilots.You can spot one of those: big biceps
on the right arm :-)

Dan