Old June 19th 09, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John E. Carty

Default Flight simulator

"Mike Ash" wrote in message
In article
,
Dudley Henriques wrote:

On Jun 18, 5:53 pm, Bob Noel wrote:
In article ,

"Morgans" wrote:
I wish the word would get out so we could get back to the quality and
quantity of discussions we used to have. I wonder if it will ever
recover...

With ISPs dropping newsgroups and the web forums, I kind of doubt
there will be much recovery.

RCN (my ISP) dropped Usenet some time ago. I liked the venue and hated
to leave it altogether. I know most people hate Google Groups, but I
signed on and have been using this reader now for some time. It's not
too bad really. It's up more than it's down and I'm not a kill file
freak (simply ignore those worth ignoring :-) so the filter issues
that seem to bug everyone else don't seem to be bothering me. I also
don't need a bianary capability; just text so Google is fine for me.
I in fact would recommend Google Groups for Usenet if people have an
ISP problem with access. It's a free reader and for some that's a big
plus.
I'm on a Mac so it's a double good hit for me as good news readers
for Macs are not as plentiful as they are for PC's.
Just throwing this out for general consumption.

I'm using eternal-september.org (previously motzarella.org) for my news
service. They provide a real news server that's 100% free and pretty
good. You sound like you're happy, but for others who don't like Google
Groups, that's a good alternative.

--
Mike Ash
Radio Free Earth

I only see 13 available groups when I try this server :-(