Old April 13th 18, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

Default Standard Jantar wheel brake assembly

On Thursday, April 12, 2018 at 11:36:50 AM UTC-7, sisu1a wrote:
On Thursday, April 12, 2018 at 8:02:37 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Does any have, or could anyone take a picture of the port side of of the main wheel on a Standard Jantar 41A? I’m having a heck of a time figuring out the trick to get it back together and adjusted correctly.

Thanks!

If it's the same wheel/brake as a 48-3 or a 59 then I can take some pics of the one I have, though it's no longer on the ship. That thing was simple enough assemble but I never found an adjustment point strong enough for the brakes to actually work without grabbing while not engaged.

It's a neat idea how it works in general but a poor design as applied and probably inappropriate on a sailplane. The wheel is allowed to 'float' on the axle to allow both clutch/brake plate things to engage equally even though it's actuated from one side. This also means if you do a taxi turn after landing but still able to keep the tail off the ground the brake can grab from the side load, with potential for a tail slam.

Yes - an undocumented feature of the Jantar brake! A sharp turn, including a half-ground-loop caused by a wing-tip snagging high grass, actuates the brake quite sharply. You may end up with some gravel rash on the nose, but it may save you a broken boom. I did this experiment on a Jantar-1!

Mike