View Single Post
Old May 26th 19, 11:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
external usenet poster

Default Are off-airport landouts common and/or dangerous?

Hmmmm.....great thoughts .

I have landed "off airport" more times than I want to count (likely pushing 3 digits.....sigh....).
Worst damage, pulled a gear door hinge off a ship. Fixed that night, flew next day.
Quite a few "grass stains" or gelcoat scratches from imbedded rocks in a field.

Part of the decades long rules for the Thanksgiving "contest" at HHSC called the Snowbird.
Precision time, touchdown, "parking" to a cone. All get scored in one flight over 2 days.
Goal????
Energy management putting the ship where you want when you want.
Amazing peeps that need to "practice" for this, to me and others.....basic skill for XC. You should do reasonably well if you're current.....

As to off airport landings.....first rule.....DON'T hurt the ship!!! Ship OK, pilot OK (other than pride....).

Yes, I have made bad decisions and successfully landed in places others said impossible. I am running out of luck.....I try to avoid luck.....looking for better decisions.....

As to original question.....not being sharp on putting the ship where you want when you want, not knowing what to look for, "hoping" things will work out, sometimes just bad luck......the better prepped you are (plan every landing to a spot....no exceptions....!!!)....and no "land wherever, others will move it back".....wrong....put it where you want it, deal with issues when they arise....they WILL arise....