Old March 15th 04, 04:06 PM
Michael

"C J Campbell" wrote
It may be your policy, but it does not really follow the regs. Yes, I know
the argument that the instructor certificate is not a pilot certificate, but
it sure gets treated as a pilot certificate for all other purposes. I also
know that the policy varies from one FSDO to another.

Actually, it varies from one inspector to another.

Not too long ago, we had a jumpship crash. The pilot did all the
right things, but when the engine of a heavy single fails in the climb
at 400 ft, you just don't have many options. The field was wet and
rough, and there was substantial damage but no injuries. The accident
was reported, and the investigation delegated to the FAA. The pilot
made the mistake of noting that he never seems to hear of automobile
engines having catastrophic failures, but certified airplane engines
fail with depressing regularity. Next thing you know, he's written up
for flying with an expired BFR - enven though he had taken his CFII
ride only a few months ago. Your tax dollars at work.

I also know that most
examiners will sign the ride off as a BFR if you ask them to do that.

That's another gray area, worse than the original.

61.56 Flight review.
(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (b) and (f) of this section, a
flight
review consists of a minimum of 1 hour of flight training and 1 hour
of ground
training.

The FAA is pretty adamant that a checkride is not instruction.

Personally, I don't understand why the instructor doesn't just sign
the BFR. There's no way I would be comfortable signing someone off
for a CFI ride and not willing to sign off a BFR.

Michael