Old September 20th 08, 01:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default VW transporter Engine?

On Sep 19, 4:47*pm, Jerry Wass wrote:

A friend of mine is contemplating seriously building a Double Eagle &
has spotted what I think is a 2100cc transporter engine

Dear Jerry,

There's no such thing as a 2100cc VW engine. The Type 4 engine, which
was installed in Transporters imported to the US (most late-model
Transporters did just fine with the upright 1600 engine) came in three
sizes, 1800cc, 1900cc and 2000cc. Some had dual carbs.

The Type 4 is an excellent engine but is an extremely poor choice for
the Double Eagle due to its extra weight and limited parts
availability. If converted for flight, the prop should be installed
on the clutch-end of the crankshaft, a realatively easy mode since the
crankshaft is flanged. But doing so would require the fabrication of
an entirely new engine mount for the Double Eagle.

According to Steve Bennett (ie, Great Plains) most of the folks
building the Double Eagle are opting for the 2180cc engine.

If the fellow can acquire the engine at little cost, he should do so.
It represents a significant value as 'trading goods' since the core
was also used in the VW-Porsche.

The problem with putting the prop on the pulley-end of the crank is
well documented and should be read carefully before risking your life
on that particular modification.

I don't consider myself qualified on the T4, never having had enough
of them to experiment with. But with the exception of its valve
train, the T4 is a fully modern engine which embodies all of the
modifications defined in the HVX files (and found in ANY modern-day
engine). The main problem with using it for flight is its weight and
the need to blow it out -- stroker crank & bigger jugs -- to get the
power you'll need to power a Sonex (for example). But properly
overhauled, it will give a quarter-million miles of reliable service
in the Transporter and makes good trading material.

-R.S.Hoover

--it's in a van,
has 2 carbs, & I have not seen it, nor do I know how to distinguish
between the various models & sizes--I have Finch's book & also-"How to
hot rod Corvairs" on corvairs & am well versed in the differences in them..

Could someone direct me in the right direction on this VW---
Especially a few special identifying features peculiar to the 2100cc.

Would it make a good direct drive aero engine?
Are standard parts *& mild strengthening mods available..
some website links would be appreciated.

Wass biplane---50% done & 75% to go---

BTW- the rec. *metalworking newsgroup has gone ape s#@t over
politics--You cant find out anything over there--hope us aeroplayners
don't do the same..Jerry