Old April 6th 06, 10:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default FAA Sharing databases with PP medical insurance databases??

Larry wrote:
How far away are we based on the recent SSI sharing with the FAA just
in Northern Califonia !!?? I don't even want to go there...but ??

PP :+(

Hold on there a minute.. its not as sinister as you think...

Investigators with the SSI folks were doing an investigation on SSI fraud.

They cross referenced THEIR list (which is the non-public one... with
medical information and such)...

and checked it against many other PUBLIC databases (such as the pilot
one.. and if I remember right, inclusion in the pilot database is based
on a current medical (or other criteria if a medical isnt required).

On the ones that they had matches on, they then had probably cause to
investigate further, obtain warrants and such... Your SSI information
was NOT inappropriately shared. If anything, it was good sleuth work.

The folks that they indicted and nailed to the wall were people who
applied for and recieved disability for conditions that were
automatically disqualifying for medical certificates, and who lied about
it on their medical apps:

For instance, claiming mental health disability for psychotic disorders
and then obtaining an FAA medical with no disclosure.

We aren't talking about not disclosing a blood pressure pill or minor
surgical procedure (which also require disclosure..).. we are talking
about people who fraudulently applied to the US government with the
intent to recieve disability funds, and who got caught because they
chose the wrong hobby... and who did this for YEARS.

If anything, your private (and public) medical records are safer than
ever before, if you believe all the hype over HIPAA.

So why dont you want to go there? Are you waiting to be indicted for
fraud? Did you "forget" to include something on your medical app?

Dave