Old March 29th 20, 01:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.

Default Much Ado About Nothing

My old ASW 17 had a tail skid - and to make it worse it had a metal cleat screwed to the bottom of the skid and and the old Schleicher off center CG hook. Needless to say, SOP was to start the roll with the stick full back & a prayer if on tarmac. Once in the air it was fine.

I suspect (but am not sure) that people who report a difference in aero tow handling between belly hooks and nose hooks are really perceiving the difference between forward and aft center of gravity locations on different gliders or the effect of all flying tails. Both of those impact aero tow handling more than location of the hook, in my experience.
ROY