Old October 10th 06, 03:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
chris

Default SSA-OLC Generation 2.0 - Submission deadlines.

Doug Haluza wrote:
One of the goals of the OLC is to be a real-time information system, so
pilots are encouraged to post their flights as soon as possible. We
like to be able to see what other pilots did on a given day that same
night. It's really exciting to see what people did at other nearby
airfields while your flight experience is still current.

Well then if that is a goal you have a bad failure. If I fly on
Wednesday I have until the following Tuesday to submit the flight. If
I make a long flight on Tuesday and have a long retrieve I cannot make
it back to an internet connection in a remote area by midnight. Sounds
hypothetical? Nope has happened to me in Marfa.

The Tuesday deadline it downright stupid and unproductive. Why not
have a 72 hour limit or at least 24 hours after landing? It is dumb
that the deadline is different for every day of the week with the
current system.

The OLC team says that the Tuesday deadline is required for them to get
published in local news outlets - that is not relevent for us. Why
penalize pilots who fly in the remote areas where soaring is the best
and the internet connections are hardest to get?

Chris