Old May 17th 08, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Default Pitch vs. trim in flight phases

Peter Clark wrote in
:

On Fri, 16 May 2008 16:52:53 -0400, Dudley Henriques
wrote:

gatt wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote:

I don't know how that compares to the Saitek Aviator which is what
I use, but I'm thinking of removing the springs and replacing them
with stiffer ones to make it a bit more realistic.

Ah yes......but at what airspeed? (slugs dynamic pressure vs
unboosted control surfaces :-))

Ooh. Good point. I wonder if a series of small electric motors
could be used to spool up bungee tension corresponding to
appropriate pressures. Not sure how the big sims do it.

-c

Not sure myself. It would have to be a complicated program. Even the
control surface area is a factor, and each aircraft would be affected
differently.

Unless I'm mistaken here, since the big jets have boosted controls and
run everything through an artificial feel unit for the yokes don't
they just install the same artificial feel unit in the sim as is in
the aircraft?

Nah, the artificial feel is fairly simple compared to the arrangement in
a sim. In an aircraft there's an airspeed input ( some older airplanes
have seperate pitot tubes on the tail to feed the feel) that goes to a
computer which operates a bunch of arms and levers that give a mecanical
advantage type feedback to the stick. While it's similar in a sim, the
number of parametrs the sim's computer has to look at to make a feel
adjustemnt is enormous. In the airplane it's pretty natural in
operation. Even the best sims tend to be a bit notchy and not so natural
to fly. Good smooth RL pilots tend to be fairly poor at controlling
sims, particulkarly the old ones, wheras guys who are good at flying the
sims tend to be automatons and fly the airplane as such. Not a hard and
fast rule, but it's the case more often than not. I was in an old three
axis sim years ago and noticed the altimeter wasn't moving while we were
in S+L flight. I just assumed the sim was acting up and was broken....

Bertie