Old August 17th 07, 04:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.ultralight,rec.aviation.soaring
cavelamb himself[_4_]

Default Electrically Powered Ultralight Aircraft

wrote:

To carry more weight at the same speed and altitude takes more power, so
you have to account for the energy expended kiting you deadweight
electric takeoff system around the sky as well. Sizing an engine for
cruise has been done, if only backwards. Think JATO. Most JATO's are
actually RATO (rocket assisted takeoff). I expect RATO would beat an
electric system based on energy density and the fact that when it is
done you have reduced your weight by the fuel. I also suspect for a
given amount of thrust the rocket will be lighter than an electric motor
and associated clutches and gearing. In my opinion, at this point in
time it is just as practical for a homebuilt as well as in not.

Well, that's true enough, but the above was about hybrid cars.

No, it's not true enough.

To carry more weight at the same speed and altitude requires more LIFT.

A higher CL - and/or more wing area.

THEN, to overcome the increased drag, THEN you need more power.

But more power by itself won't satisfy the constraints...