Old October 7th 04, 05:30 AM
Big John

Peter

First, got lots of hours dive/glide bombing.

P/F-51
F-80
F-2H3
B-26K
Target marking with WP rockets in the 0-1/02.

These all were what we called glide bombers. Dive angle varied between
45 and 60 degrees. Power was reduced to 20" or 80% or so entering
dive.

Entry was in a fairly tight turn (depending on air speed and stall
speed) letting the nose drop below the target (keeping it in sight at
all times). As you rolled out you brought the nose up (+ G's) on to
target.

Prior to attack you set 'depression' in sight and all you had to do
was use coordinated maneuvers to get pipper on target and hold there.
Skidding etc to hold pipper on target would assure a miss.

Drop altitude depended on the size bombs you were carrying. The bigger
the bomb the higher the minimum altitude (or you blew yourself out of
the sky with your own ordnance). Saw several birds come home with
holes in the belly from dropping too low.

Saw a F-100 in VN push the envelope and knocked his hydraulics out.
Got nose up before controls locked and as bird stalled he punched out.

Bombing was hard work with the G's you pulled and formation to and
from target not to mention the anti aircraft fire.

All the birds in VN were glide bombers (A-1, AT-37, F-4, F100, F-5,
etc.)

Now to answer your question. It looks better on film if you roll over
and split 'S' . The movie I was in we did things that we would never
have done in real life (or combat). Sure looked good in the movie
thought )

Miss being 'point of the sword'.

Big John

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 05:21:39 GMT, "Peter MacPherson"
wrote:

Maybe this is a stupid question, but here goes.... ; - )

Why is it that when fighter pilots roll in on a ground or air
target they always seem to roll into an inverted dive? Is this
just my imagination? What's the benefit of an inverted dive?

Thanks,
Pete