Old February 24th 21, 09:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

Default Airports that have oxygen

On Tuesday, February 23, 2021 at 8:01:58 PM UTC-8, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Darryl Ramm wrote on 2/23/2021 7:02 PM:
On Tuesday, February 23, 2021 at 10:56:38 AM UTC-8, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Doug Levy wrote on 2/23/2021 10:38 AM:
Last year while motor gliding the western states I had trouble finding airports that can fill my oxygen bottle. I did get fills at Ely, Minden, and Inyokern. Do you know of places that can help out a visiting pilot?

Put a HUGE cylinder in your Phoenix! I use a CFFC-048 carbon fiber wrapped, 48 cf at 2200 psi,
19.5" x 6.8", and 6.4lb. I mounted it in the baggage compartment on the bulkhead about 2.5'
behind the pilot. From Mountain High.

You might be able to fill at Parowan (they have cart), and I think I saw an oxygen cart at
Richfield, UT. Rifle, CO, might have it, or you may be able to get a fill from Schmulik
Dimenstein, the local glider pilot that maintains his own cylinders in a hangar there.

Parowan Aero Services FBO used to have a Oxygen recompressor to top up those high PSI composite bottles, and a water bath to keep the bottle cool while doing that.

Unfortunately, the high pressure pump system stopped working several years ago, and Dave did
not have it repaired. I sort of recall him saying very few people had the high pressure
bottles, once the Germans stopped coming with their gliders.

Thanks Eric, that is sad. The Germans need to come back :-) I used to get my big kevlar wrapped cylinder filler there to high PSI. With EDS it was great.