Old March 7th 21, 07:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

Default FCC License?

I'm circling back on this old 2010 thread as I received a letter from the FCC asking me to renew the radio license specific specific to my N number (aka "Call Sign").

So here is a question that really needs a simple yes/no answer*.

"Do I need an FCC license for my glider (or for that matter for the myriad of GA power pilots flying their airplanes owned or rented) while flying WITHIN THE US so I can transmit across the entire aviation frequency range (118-137 MHz) and I can communicate with other pilots, small/large airports, ATC, etc, etc?"

I believe that the answer is "No". See the reference links below.

https://www.fcc.gov/commercial-radio...icense-program
https://www.aopa.org/travel/internat...r-certificates
https://sportysacademy.com/fcc/
https://cfiacademy.com/how-to-get-fc...rivate-pilots/

Let the conversation begin.

Thanks, John (OHM)

*PS - I'm *NOT* talking about a license for my gliderport, international flying, drug running, insurrection, or (for Bruno's benefit) flying in an air show.