Old March 9th 21, 06:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

Default FCC License?

On Sunday, March 7, 2021 at 7:41:35 PM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
No. Used to, not any more unless you cross a border. If you plan any
international flights, check first.

Dan
5J
On 3/7/21 12:09 PM, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
I'm circling back on this old 2010 thread as I received a letter from the FCC asking me to renew the radio license specific specific to my N number (aka "Call Sign").

So here is a question that really needs a simple yes/no answer*.

"Do I need an FCC license for my glider (or for that matter for the myriad of GA power pilots flying their airplanes owned or rented) while flying WITHIN THE US so I can transmit across the entire aviation frequency range (118-137 MHz) and I can communicate with other pilots, small/large airports, ATC, etc, etc?"

Just to compare to Canada, it's much the same up here. From the regulator's website:
" Do I need a licence for the aeronautical radio equipment on board my aircraft?
You will not require a licence if you meet both of the following criteria:
- the aircraft is not operated in the sovereign airspace of a country other than Canada.
- the radio equipment on board the aircraft is only capable of operating on frequencies that are allocated for aeronautical mobile communications or aeronautical radio navigation."

So neither we nor you need a licence unless we cross the border, when each of us then do... Perhaps a mutual exception might be arranged.

We also have a medical declaration for the glider pilot licence, but it's not valid in the U.S.; yours, not valid up here. Pity.

Dan