Old December 23rd 03, 08:53 PM
Emmanuel.Gustin

In rec.aviation.military No Spam! wrote:

: Further violation of our rights is not the answer, but hardening
: the target is the answer. Congress should take all discretion about
: which pilots get into the armed-pilot program away from the TSA, just as
: 36 states have done with "Shall Issue" concealed carry laws.

This seems rather silly to me. Aviation authorities all over
the world take a strict line when monitoring all the professional
skills and qualifications of airline pilots. If carrying guns
is added to the package of their tasks, then why should they
be any less strict about that? The logical thing to do, if pilots
have to act as air marshalls as well, is to give them the full
training of air marshalls, so I suspect one week's training is
an absolute minimum anyway. I also think that it is very sensible
to build in barriers to deflect away people who wouldn't take
the responsibility seriously enough.

If the TSA is inefficient, bureaucratic, and unfriendly about it,
what's new? The entire system seems to be that way. Personally
I try to limit contact with US airlines and US airports to
a minimum, even if that means having to take a flight from
Heathrow (still, not nearly as bad as Boston).

--
Emmanuel Gustin