Old January 1st 11, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Gilbert[_2_]

Default FCC License?

I can show an example that makes this incorrect. Our club had a
license that allowed ground support stations to use either 123.3 or
123.5. Also, 87.323 says explicitly "Aviation support mobile stations
will be assigned 123.300 and 123.500 MHz". "And", not "or". Perhaps
you can pay a fee to get them to correct your license?? That's
crazy...

On Dec 31, 6:04*am, Tony V wrote:
2KA wrote:
You can get a license for a mobile ground station (in support of
glider operations) to transmit on a single frequency, i.e. 123.3. *I
have one. *You need a second license if you want to transmit on
123.5. *Such mobile ground stations are not allowed, however, to
transmit on the CTAF.

Crazy, isn't it? Hand held air band transceivers have been around for a
long time but it is only recently that they've become "dirt cheap" and
everybody and his brother has one. Case in point - in 1985 I paid almost
US$500 for an Icom A20. Today, I earn 3 times as much as I did in '85
and I got an A6 for well under US$300.

I suspect that the current communications regs are simply a reflection
of the earlier era - at least, I hope so.The reality is that if you
briefly and occasionally use a hand held outside of an aircraft, the
feds will not come after you - not that I recommend illegal use, mind
you. If you repeatedly mis-use a base station, chances are that they
will -http://www.fcc.gov/eb/Orders/2004/DA-04-3498A1.html,http://www.fcc.gov/eb/Orders/2009/DA-09-1258A1.html.

Tony, LS6-b "6N", W1DYS