Old March 18th 04, 06:35 PM
Ulrich Neumann

"mat Redsell" wrote in message ...
I really think this idea has merit.... but should we also consider lowering
the wing loading so that the horsepower requirements are much less? I also
think that the future of soaring is rather bleak without winch alternatives.

Mat,

I don't think that the road-block for whole winch idea is horse-power.
Horse-Power is available in abundance at a reasonable cost - see Bill
Daniels' write-up on this subject. Even with a high HP winch, older,
smaller and lighter gliders can be launched. It is only when you have
a fully watered open ship or heavy double seat trainer on the other
end of the cable when you need the extra uhmpf!
I think the biggest problem to overcome is the mind-set that the winch
has to be built (cobbled together) in one weekend from parts supplied
exclusively from the local junk-yard. Lets apply some sound
engineering, craftsmenship and parts, that are commercially available
for years to come.

Ulrih Neumann