Old January 29th 07, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nyal Williams

Default Wikipedia:Yaw string

Some of us are waiting with abated breath (nothing
fishy here) for the Mark III calibrated model. It
is reported to have a transparent sweep screen underneath
it so as to measure the precise angle of slip and aid
in selecting the amount of rudder input required.

At 17:06 29 January 2007, Bumper wrote:
Nor did they mention the vastly improved yaw string,
the MKII 'high tech'
yaw string! The MKII is reputed, by generally refutable
and unreliable
sources, to increase L/D by at least 2 points - - but
who's counting. This
from the inventor of the 'QV quiet vent kit' (which
really does decrease
noise from the Mecaplex flip-out window vent by a full
10 db as measured in
an ASH26E at 60 knots). Contact me directly for more
info.

I'll have a supply of both with me at the SSA convention.

bumper ZZ
'Dare to be different . . . circle in sink.'

'Ralph Jones' wrote in message
.. .
On 29 Jan 2007 03:08:22 -0800, 'Doug Haluza'
wrote:

The Wikipedia article on the yaw string is featured
on the main page
today in the 'Did you know....' section as follows:

'Did you know...'

...that the yaw string, a simple tuft of yarn used
as a flight
instrument by the Wright brothers, is still in use
today?'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaw_string

Hm...didn't point out the importance of using a metric
yaw string on
German sailplanes...;-)

rj