Old April 17th 07, 05:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Default TSA rule, what does this mean?

On Apr 17, 8:58 am, "Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net
wrote:
Robert M. Gary wrote:
As a TSA approved foreign flight training provider, I received the
follow from the TSA today...

"Who must participate in the Alien Flight Student Program (AFSP)?

Persons seeking flight training must submit a request if they are not
citizens or nationals of the U.S. and:

---They wish to receive flight training in the U.S. or its
territories, regardless of whether training will lead to an FAA
certificate or type rating; and/or

---They wish to receive flight training from an FAA-certificated
facility, provider, or instructor that could lead to an FAA rating
whether in the U.S. or abroad."

The updated text can be viewed at the Provider Frequently Asked
Questions page atwww.flightschoolcandidates.gov/provider_faq.htm.

If you need further assistance, please contact or
call (571) 227-4544."

Anyone understand what this means? The second part sounds like what
we've always believed. However, what does the first part mean? Does it
imply that someone receiving training from a non-CFI must be TSA
approved even if they are not seeking a rating?? Why is it both "and"
and "or"? I guess I'm having trouble with the intent.

-Robert

The "and/or" is ass covering. The "regardless" part first covers somebody
coming to you for say a BFR or aerobatics, neither will lead to an FAA
certificate or type rating.- Hide quoted text -

But if their intention is to require TSA approval for everything
(which is not the current understanding), why have the second part as
well?

-Robert